Band saws are a necessary piece of equipment for carpentry, metalworking, and other trades requiring precise cutting. Most professionals and DIY enthusiasts prefer the best 14-inch band saw because of its adaptability, efficiency, and mobility.
However, choosing the most appropriate for your projects might take time with so many band saws available. This article reviews five of the best 14-inch band saws on the market and offers detailed buying advice.
Table of Contents
- Top Three
- Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best 14-inch Band Saw
- Best 14 Inch Band saw
- The stainless steel miter detent plate of the 12-inch miter saw blade comes with 10 positive stops.
- The miter saw has a precise miter system and machined base fence support.
- Extruded aluminum fence for ripping normal workpieces or resawing veneers.
- Combination 2", 3", and 4" dust port.
- The item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately.
- Motor: 1 HP, TEFC, 110V/220V, single-phase, 1,725 RPM, Amps: 14 @ 110V, 7 @ 220V.
Factors to Consider When Choosing the Best 14-inch Band Saw
The motor and blade speed are vital aspects that determine the cutting ability of a band saw. Consider both the motor horsepower (HP) and the blade speed, measured in feet per minute (FPM).
A greater horsepower motor and a faster blade speed are vital if your project requires cutting thick and hard materials. Whereas, if you wish to cut softer materials, a lower horsepower motor and a slower blade speed may be enough.
A fence is an adjustable metallic or plastic bar attached near the blade. It guides the cutting materials to ensure the accuracy and straightness of the cuts.
Consider a fence that is stable, easily adjustable, and has high-quality construction to withstand wear and tear. Additionally, ensure its scale or rule is clear and easy to read to provide accurate cut measurements.
The construction quality of any machine determines its performance, reliability, and durability. Consider a band saw base made of sturdy materials such as cast iron to ensure stability and minimized vibrations.
The table surface of the saw should be smooth and flat with a durable finish to resist corrosion and scratches. Ensure the control and tension systems are easy to use and maintain.
Additionally, consider a machine with a warranty against defects to protect your investment.
Resaw capacity is the minimum thickness a band saw can cut through when the blade is vertical. For hobbyists and most small-scale projects, a resawing capacity of about 14 inches may be enough. However, consider a band saw with a larger resawing capacity if your project involves working on thick materials.
Additionally, ensure the blade size is appropriate for the resawing task. Usually, a wider blade is ideal since it provides more stability and minimizes blade drift risk.
A mobile base is vital for a band saw since it adds versatility and convenience. It is a set of wheels or casters attached to the bottom saw, allowing you to move the machine quickly.
Consider a band saw with a mobile base featuring sturdy and high-quality wheels that are appropriate for your flooring surface. Ensure the wheels have a simple locking mechanism and easy maneuverability.
Best 14 Inch Band saw
JET JWBS-14DXPRO, 14-Inch Deluxe Pro Bandsaw
This band saw features a cast iron frame and a 15×15-inch work table for efficiently handling challenging resawing projects.
Pros and cons
- It tilts 10 degrees left and 45 degrees right to provide flexibility
- Features ball bearing guides for reducing friction and enhancing blade performance
- With various precision and safety features such as a poly-v belt drive system and quick-release blade tension
- Come with a 5-year warranty
- Its blade tensioning requires a lot of effort
I love this band saw because it is easy to set up and adjust.
Grizzly Industrial G0948 – The Classic 14″ Bandsaw
The G0555 bandsaw comes with a 1HP motor and cast-iron frame and table for performance on crosscuts and resaws.
Pros and cons
- It’s versatile and cuts accurately and quietly
- With ball bearing blade guides and thrust bearings for enhanced performance
- Comes with extruded aluminum fence and miter gauge
- Features heavy-duty stand and cast-aluminum wheels with rubber tires for stability and maneuverability
- Includes a dust port and quick-release blade tension lever
- It’s not powerful enough for heavy-duty projects
This machine is an improvement to my noisy old saw; it’s quiet and efficient.
Shop Fox W1706 14-inch Bandsaw
This bandsaw features a powerful 14 amp, 1-horsepower, single-phase motor operating at 1,725 RPM for enhanced reliability and efficiency.
Pros and cons
- Includes a miter gauge for precise angles and perfect cross-cuts
- Features a work light for improved visibility and accuracy
- Its worktable is flexible to tilt up to 45 degrees for bevel cuts
- With two-speed operation for versatile cutting options
- Comes with a sturdy stand for stability and support during operation
- It may develop grinding noise on extensive usage
As a woodworker hobbyist, I find this machine easy to assemble and adjust.
RIKON Power Tools 14-inch Deluxe Bandsaw
This Bandsaw features a powerful motor producing 1-3/4HP and a blade speed of up to 2,950 for efficient cutting.
Pros and cons
- With 13-5/8″ wide and 13″ high cutting capacity
- Feature extra tall rip fence to enhance extensive lumber cutting
- With spring-loaded, tool-less blade guides for a quick and seamless blade adjusting process
- Cancut a variety of materials
- Backed by a 5-year warranty
- The table tilt feature may be hard to adjust
I appreciate This saw. I use it for resawing wood in my workshop.
Delta 14 in. 1 HP Steel Frame Band Saw
The band saw features a heavy-duty steel frame design that reduces flexing and provides long-lasting durability. With a 1 HP motor and speeds of 1,620 FPM/3,340 FPM, it’s ideal for cutting various materials.
Pros and cons
- With rubber-coated upper and lower wheels for enhanced blade tracking
- Features a cutting capacity of 13-5/8″ wide by 6″ high for thick lumber cutting
- Comes with five precision ball-bearing upper and lower blade guides for accurate cutting
- Its oversized precision ground cast iron table can tilt 3° left to 45° right for enhanced versatility
- Changing and re-tensioning or adjusting tracking of a new blade may be a bit tedious
The Delta bandsaw is a robust and high-performance bandsaw that have used for three years.
Powermatic 14-Inch Woodworking Bandsaw
The Powermatic PWBS-14CS 14-Inch has an extra-large, two-piece cast-iron table, a solid foundation for vibration-free operation. It features a robust, one-half-horsepower TEFC motor, making it suitable for professional woodworkers and hobbyists.
Pros and cons
- It offers uncompromising accuracy and durability.
- An extra-large work table to provide a large working area
- Features precision-machined multi-groove pulleys driven by a poly-V drive belt system for a smooth and efficient operation
- Comes with a built-in 60-watt adjustable lamp to provide lighting on the blade and workpiece while cutting
- Its belt tensioning may be difficult
It is my second bandsaw, potent and efficient, especially in resawing tasks.
WEN BA1487 14-Inch Two-Speed Band Saw
This saw provides robust and efficient cutting capabilities thanks to its 9.5-amp motor and 13-3/8-inch throat. It features a two-speed operation for cutting flexibility and accepts various-sized blades for versatility in intricate cutting and resawing.
Pros and cons
- With a wide cutting capacity to tackle wide and thick materials
- Feature a spacious work table with beveling capability
- Endowed with ball-bearing blade guides for enhanced cutting accuracy and blade lifespan
- Comes with an easy-to-assemble stand with storage underneath
- With a convenient dust collection mechanism for improved workplace cleanliness
- It may not be suitable for heavy-duty resawing
This bandsaw is excellent for the price, and I recommend it to any DIY hobbyist.
Based on our assessment and customer reviews, the above are some of the best 14-inch bandsaws in the market. Ensure you also consider the above factors and the nature of your project before buying any of them.